Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Sole Trader Eligible - Can I change to quarterly turnover?

Initiate

Views 775

Replies 2

Hi there,

I'm a sole trader and eligible for the Jobkeeper for April 2020.

April 2019 was one of my most profitable months, however May 2019 turnover was very low. Just wondering if May this year (somehow) is improved on last year, will I be dropped out of Jobkeeper? Or will I just be "ineligible" for the particular month or fortnight where turnover is not below 30% down?

Or is there a way to change to giving a quarterly turnover instead of monthly? As for the whole quarter, I am predicting last year would still be considerably up on this year.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

So in your situation your test period will be April 2020 and your comparative period will be April 19. You only have to satisfy the test period once. I assume you are asking about the quarter because you are registered for GST on quarterly basis. If you do you ignore that you just look at it from Month to Month. So when you go to enrol into Jobkeeper you select the test period as April. 

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

So in your situation your test period will be April 2020 and your comparative period will be April 19. You only have to satisfy the test period once. I assume you are asking about the quarter because you are registered for GST on quarterly basis. If you do you ignore that you just look at it from Month to Month. So when you go to enrol into Jobkeeper you select the test period as April. 

Initiate

Replies 0

Oh that's really helpful Denz, thanks so much, I appreciate it! I thought the test was done each month over, compared to the month in 2019 that corresponded. Rather than using the month selected as the overall test period. But this makes sense. Cheers!