ATO Community

Sole Trader & Casual Employee (of 1 month)

Initiate

Views 722

Replies 3

Hi there, 

I have been a operating as a sole trader for a few years but have never reached the threshold to register for GST (so do not lodge BAS). In March 2020 I started a casual job, while continuing my sole trader work. Now my ABN work (my main income) has stopped completely due to COVID-19 but I am still getting a shifts from my casual job. I have applied for Job Keeper, but need to know whether I compare March 2020 TOTAL income (including the income from my new employer) to March 2019 income or only the income earned as a sole trader?

My second question, I did not work for the entire months of July and August 2019 due to surgery. Does this mean I will not be eligible to receive payments in July & August 2020 as my income for those months in 2019 was $0?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @Laura2

Thanks for raising your questions in our Community and sorry to hear about your situation.

For the purposes of a JobKeeper application as a sole trader you would only be looking at decline in turnover over from that business i.e. income from separate casual employment is not included.

In regards to July and August 2020 - you only need to satisfy the fall in turnover test once – you remain eligible and do not need to keep testing turnover in following months. However, you will be asked each month to tell us your current and projected turnover.

Wishing you all the best during this difficult time.

AndyT

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @Laura2

Thanks for raising your questions in our Community and sorry to hear about your situation.

For the purposes of a JobKeeper application as a sole trader you would only be looking at decline in turnover over from that business i.e. income from separate casual employment is not included.

In regards to July and August 2020 - you only need to satisfy the fall in turnover test once – you remain eligible and do not need to keep testing turnover in following months. However, you will be asked each month to tell us your current and projected turnover.

Wishing you all the best during this difficult time.

AndyT

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi Andy T - does the income from the casual job need to be declared as turnover for the ABN?
Can you get jobkeeper as a sole trader, but get paid an unlimited amount as a casual employee without having to declare or have it affect payments?
I’m finding it very hard to find the definitive answer written in ATO info. Can you please answer and also direct me to where this is explicitly written in an official capacity?
It would be dreadful after all of this is over to have to pay back the job keeper and be in debt.
But if I can earn casual income on top of jobkeeper that would be good. Jobkeeper only just barely covers bills for me

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DK3,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay.

You can find this information on the employees' frequently asked question page.

I hope this helps.