Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Sole Trader with lots of work but realised ABN cancelled last year? Still get Job Keeper Payment?

Views 1780

Replies 2

have been working under my ABN for the past 8 year (with a lot more work in the last year) and have just looked it up as I am wanting to apply for the Job Keeper payment as I have lost all of my income for my business. It says that my ABN was cancelled last year some reason?? I definitely didn’t cancel it, there is no reason why I would have as I was continuing to work using my ABN to the companies I provide services to. I used that ABN when you did my tax last year also.

Will that mean my business won’t have been valid since June last year? I have all my invoices and email from my only client saying that there is no more work. There is an option to reactivate, shall I do that now? My details aren’t current as I have moved to Queensland so should I update that now also? my tax accountant used that ABN for my tax last year also but it was cancelled then. I didn’t receive any notification.

Please help! Will I still get the Job Keeper payments?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjwatson

Thanks for your post.

If your ABN has been cancelled for some reason and you want it to be reactivated, you simply need to re-apply for your ABN. Based on the information that you have provided, we recommend that you do that as well as update your details as soon as you can.

For more information on the quickest and easiest way to reactivate your ABN, refer to the cancel/re-apply for an ABN page on the ABR Lookup website. We also suggest that you check out the update your ABN details page on the ABR website.

Keeping in mind that the recently announced JobKeeper payment isn't law, we can't really say whether your ABN cancellation will affect your eligibility. In saying that, according to the fact sheet eligibility will be based on the fall in your turnover, not your ABN status. We will also have discretion to consider additional information.

For more information about the JobKeeper payment, have a look at the fact sheet on the Treasury website. You can go to the JobKeeper payment page on our website to register your interest for the payment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjwatson

Thanks for your post.

If your ABN has been cancelled for some reason and you want it to be reactivated, you simply need to re-apply for your ABN. Based on the information that you have provided, we recommend that you do that as well as update your details as soon as you can.

For more information on the quickest and easiest way to reactivate your ABN, refer to the cancel/re-apply for an ABN page on the ABR Lookup website. We also suggest that you check out the update your ABN details page on the ABR website.

Keeping in mind that the recently announced JobKeeper payment isn't law, we can't really say whether your ABN cancellation will affect your eligibility. In saying that, according to the fact sheet eligibility will be based on the fall in your turnover, not your ABN status. We will also have discretion to consider additional information.

For more information about the JobKeeper payment, have a look at the fact sheet on the Treasury website. You can go to the JobKeeper payment page on our website to register your interest for the payment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 0

Hi Sarah

Curious to know if you have recieved JK payments yet?   I am in the same situation re. soletrader with an ABN that needed renewing (which I did).  My application was accepted but frustratingly remains under manual review (Error code 20) and last week when I called an ATO staff member suggested this was the cause of delay.