Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

Sole Trader working in Aus and UK

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 191

Replies 1

I am a self-employed sole trader in the performing arts industry.

I returned from working on a contract in the UK early March before COVID-19 begun shutting everything down. I returned unemployed as my contractual work in the UK had ended and was planning on getting started again here in Australia. All potential employment has gone down the drain and am now looking at applying for JobSeekers Payment through Centrelink.

I'm trying to fill in a Seasonal, Contractual and Intermittent Work Details Form from Centrelink and need to understand how to fill it in if my employment in the last 6 months was in the UK. What are my allowable deductions? Tax wasn't taken out of my pay but I have put it aside for when the time comes. Do I include this as an allowable deduction? How do I work out the percentage of what I would pay as tax when I earnt it in the UK but might declare it as foreign income on my Aus tax return? Am I meant to do my tax here or in the UK? What exchange rate do I use?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @annabellerose,

Tax wise it depends on where you are a resident for tax purposes. 

If you were a non-resident in Australia when you earnt the income then you will not need to declare it on your income tax return here.

We are not sure what centrellink require on there form they may need to know about the overseas income. You may wish to look at their website.

KylieS

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @annabellerose,

Tax wise it depends on where you are a resident for tax purposes. 

If you were a non-resident in Australia when you earnt the income then you will not need to declare it on your income tax return here.

We are not sure what centrellink require on there form they may need to know about the overseas income. You may wish to look at their website.

KylieS