Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Sole trader and employee

Highlighted

Views 254

Replies 4

I understand that if you are a sole trader and have a part-time position at another workplace, you are ineligible for JobKeeper from sole trading.

If I spoke to my employer and had my employment status changed to casual, would I become eligible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @jessbaik,

As the eligibility requirements currently stand, permanent full-time or part-time employment would disqualify you from applying for JobKeeper as a sole-trader. Casual employment would not. 

More on the eligibility requirements for sole-traders here:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders-and-other-entities/

Hopefully that helps clarify things.

Josh

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I too, would be interested to see if that is the case. 

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @jessbaik,

As the eligibility requirements currently stand, permanent full-time or part-time employment would disqualify you from applying for JobKeeper as a sole-trader. Casual employment would not. 

More on the eligibility requirements for sole-traders here:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders-and-other-entities/

Hopefully that helps clarify things.

Josh

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi @JoshH,

What if Jessica's casual position came into effect after March 2020, would she be able to apply for Jobkeeper as sole trader
Thank you
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Happy101,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay.

Can a sole trader receive JobKeeper payments when they are also an employee of another business?

• No. An eligible business participant cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity. If the sole trader is both a long term casual employee of another business and also an eligible sole trader, they can choose to either let their employer claim the JobKeeper payments on their behalf, or they can claim as a sole trader, but not both.

There is more information about JobKeeper for sole traders on our website.

I hope this helps.