Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Sole trader: is jobseeker considered GST income when completing forms for JobKeeper?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 569

Replies 3

Hi there,
I’m a sole trader with no employees (just myself). I’m not registered for GST as I fall under the $75k threshold.

I’m currently receiving the JobSeeker allowance but I’m applying for the JobKeeper today.

When it says enter your GST income for April & projected May, do I add the Jobseeker amount to this figure?

Do I need to ring & cancel my JobSeeker payment?

No links please, just answers. I often can’t find definitive answers to my questions via the links provided on this forum due to my circumstances.

Thanks for your understanding!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gmfreeek 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

In regards to your question, the comment applies to if you’re not registered for GST, you can still be eligible but you need to have had an ABN on 12 March 2020. You would need to show an amount of assessable income related to your business in your 2018–19 income tax return.

So your turnover in this instance would be measured against your decline in all your annual income. 

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gmfreeek 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

In regards to your question, the comment applies to if you’re not registered for GST, you can still be eligible but you need to have had an ABN on 12 March 2020. You would need to show an amount of assessable income related to your business in your 2018–19 income tax return.

So your turnover in this instance would be measured against your decline in all your annual income. 

I hope this information is helpful and you remain well during this time.

MariR

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi Mari,
Apologies but that doesn’t seem to answer my question. I can never seem to find a clear response on these forums.
My question in simpler terms: When I’m entering my past & projected GST income in the JobKeeper application, do I add the JobSeeker amount that I’ve been receiving to these figures?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @gmfreeek

Sorry for the delay in responding, and thanks for your patience.

JobKeeper is not counted for GST purposes, however it is taxable.

Hope that helps

thanks

LizdeK