Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Sole trader with permanent employment. Can my staff still access Jobkeeper through my business?

Initiate

Views 1261

Replies 5

Hello,

I am a sole trader who also works part time for another company. I do not wish to get job keeper for myself. Due to COVID 19 I have had to close my business and stand down my employees. Can I access Jobkeeper for my employees? The business meets all of the eligibility criteria, and so do the staff, it was only that I work part time elsewhere that might impact my eligibility to claim on behalf of my staff.

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @bgrebenc, @Dkbignall and @Ash1234

Thanks for reaching out to us and thanks for your patience.

Your business can claim the JobKeeper Payment for your employees. As long as your business meets all the eligible employer requirements and at least one employee meets the eligible employee requirements, you can claim the payment for all your eligible employees. Refer to our website for more information.

The fact that your business isn't claiming it for you as an eligible business participant doesn't matter. You can still claim it for your eligible employees, even if you don't meet all the eligible business participant requirements.

When you enrol for the payment, you simply enter the applicable numbers in the employee fields and answer no to the question about claiming it as a sole trader or eligible business participant. You will be able to identify your employees from 4 May.

You can find out more about the process by checking out the JobKeeper guides.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

5 REPLIES 5

Enthusiast

Replies 0

I have the same question. I have spoken with 2 accountants who are also unsure

Replies 3

Hi - I have the same issue!

Have you got any answers for this one yet?

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @bgrebenc, @Dkbignall and @Ash1234

Thanks for reaching out to us and thanks for your patience.

Your business can claim the JobKeeper Payment for your employees. As long as your business meets all the eligible employer requirements and at least one employee meets the eligible employee requirements, you can claim the payment for all your eligible employees. Refer to our website for more information.

The fact that your business isn't claiming it for you as an eligible business participant doesn't matter. You can still claim it for your eligible employees, even if you don't meet all the eligible business participant requirements.

When you enrol for the payment, you simply enter the applicable numbers in the employee fields and answer no to the question about claiming it as a sole trader or eligible business participant. You will be able to identify your employees from 4 May.

You can find out more about the process by checking out the JobKeeper guides.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Enthusiast

Replies 1

Thanks Chris.

The sole trader form does not allow you answer no to the question about whether you are applying as a sole trader. If you answer No it states that you are ineligible.

I was able to be enrol by phoning the ATO and having them register for me.

But definitely not able to enrol myself.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ash1234 and @bgrebenc

If you still need information and having issues, you will need to do what @Dkbignall has done and contact us to complete your enrolment.

Thanks, Ari