Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Sole trader working casually for LGA

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 109

Replies 2

Hi there,

I work primarily as a casual concert technician for a local government and also as a sole trader offering my services in event management, stage work, artist transfer services etc. Work with Council has continued with another department through a redeployment program but obviously the whole event sector is going to be out of action until late this year at the earliest.

Given local governments are excluded from the jobkeeper program, am I able to claim it as a sole trader?

It feels over the top to receive $1500/fn as I'm not losing that much work, but if it ends in September and work doesn't resume to normal until next year then it might work out that it covers my losses. I just don't want to get caught out through a technicality and have to repay the support payments.

Cheers
Tom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Tom_Cairns 

To register for JobKeeper payments you would need to meet the eligibility criteria as a sole trader. The eligibility criteria includes that an eligible business participant cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity. The response from @GeeEmm is correct, you meet part of the eligibility criteria if your other work is as a casual employee.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 0

If you are employed on a CASUAL basis by the LGA then you are eligible to claim JobKeeper as an eligible business participant (assuming you have no other jobs than the 2 mentioned here).

If you are employed on a PERMANENT basis by the LGA, then you would not be eligible to claim JobKeeper as an eligible business participant.

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Tom_Cairns 

To register for JobKeeper payments you would need to meet the eligibility criteria as a sole trader. The eligibility criteria includes that an eligible business participant cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity. The response from @GeeEmm is correct, you meet part of the eligibility criteria if your other work is as a casual employee.