Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Student visa jobkeeper eligibility

Highlighted

Views 596

Replies 1

Hi. I am a permanent part-time worker in a small cafe since November 2019. My workplace is eligible for jobkeeper and they want to apply for me. However, i am on student visa. Does this mean that i am not eligible for the jobkeeper payment? Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Enthusiast

Replies 0

No it seems that you are not eligible employee.

Work out if you are an eligible employee

You are an eligible employee if you:

• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including if you were stood down or re-hired)
  • were for the eligible employer (or another entity in their wholly owned group), either a    
    • permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020
    • long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020
  • were either    
    • an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) – visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptionsExternal Link for more details
    • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa as at 1 March 2020

• were not in receipt of any of these payments during the JobKeeper fortnight    
    • government parental leave or Dad and partner pay under the Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
    • a payment in accordance with Australian worker compensation law for an individual's total incapacity for work.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Enthusiast

Replies 0

No it seems that you are not eligible employee.

Work out if you are an eligible employee

You are an eligible employee if you:

• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including if you were stood down or re-hired)
  • were for the eligible employer (or another entity in their wholly owned group), either a    
    • permanent full-time or part-time employee at 1 March 2020
    • long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020
  • were either    
    • an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) – visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptionsExternal Link for more details
    • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa as at 1 March 2020

• were not in receipt of any of these payments during the JobKeeper fortnight    
    • government parental leave or Dad and partner pay under the Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
    • a payment in accordance with Australian worker compensation law for an individual's total incapacity for work.