Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Super covid self employed

Views 2008

Replies 11

Hi there

My husband has closed down his subcontracting business abn due to
Covid19 as he was going to use this to get some part time work in the weekends to help boost our family income. He’s a builder my trade and has a full wages job which is still continuing and his boss is claiming job keeper for him.

Since we have closed down his subcontracting abn business this year as it’s no longer needed and to risky due to covid him seeking and working extra hours as people aren’t willing to spend money at the moment..

Is he eligible for the early release of super due to covid19? Our understanding is he is after reading the eligibility requirements but we would like to check as his business now is suspended. We have the letter from the ato conforming the business is now closed.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @Lala1004 

I bet your wondering why the ATO are providing an response which does not assist you in the slightest because like many you would probably have seen the COVID-19 early release criteria before you even asked the question.

By the sounds your husband does qualify because his business as a sole trader was suspended ... I have provided an extract from the  COVID-19  early release criteria and highlighted in blue the one criteria that your husband meets:

on or after 1 January 2020 either

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
  • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

All the best !!!

11 REPLIES 11

Former Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @Lala1004 

Thanks for posting!

You are able to receive more than one COVID-19 support measure, so him already receiving JobKeeper payments doesn't have an affect on his eligibility. When applying for early release of super it is a self-assessment so if your husband has read the eligibility requirements and believes he has met the on or after 1 January 2020 requirements, he is able to apply. 

Hope this helps!

Devotee

Replies 6

@NateATO  @ChrisATO 

I see that an incorrect post by @YianaATO has been amended by @JoshH  an then marked as correct after it was pointed out by myself.

I would like to know why my answer was not marked as correct instead of the ATO stooping to such behaviour ????

If you want non-ATO contributors to keep on supporting this forum then I would suggest that you stop doing these sorts of things because it gets annoying to say the least.

@JoshH   I find your behaviour disrespectfull and against your very own ATO taxpayer charter... start treating non-ATO contributors with due respect please!

@macfanboy   I now know exactly what you mean about the ATO staff and how they treat non- ATO contributors.. its appauling... and none of us need to put up with it... !!!

@NateATO  @ChrisATO   

Maybe you would like non-ATO contributors to start treating the ATO in the same disrepectfull manner that we are been treated and then you will start to understand why we get frustrated and stop supporting this forum!!!! 

I know that the both of you have always given me and other non-ATO contributors due respect and I appreciate that, but this is not the first time this type of thing has been done by other ATO staff on here and after it keeps happening you start to wonder why.  Doesn't anyone provide the "ATO communtiy support" with any training before they are let loose on here ????

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @dirk,

Sorry about that, sometimes we do get stuff wrong and we'll work to fix it up. The edits made to the post were simply to add an additional link and to change some formatting. We've moved the best answer to your post though.

We want to work with our users to make Community a safe and welcoming space where contributors feel valued. If you see something that you think isn't right let us know and we can look into it.

Thanks, Nate

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @NateATO 

Thank you for addressing this its appreciated and I sure hope this type of stuff doesn't continue .....  I also know what was on that original post and it was simply not right and required a bit more tweeking than what you mention so Im not sure why you are trying ot minimise it unless your just relying on wat @JoshH has stated .....   but Im going to let that rest as I have better things to do..

Here is a real big tip for the ATO just in case you haven't noticed....

A lot of taxpayers come to this forum AFTER they have researched an issue including on your own ATO website, and they have specific questions BECAUSE they are unsure and need some assistance. 

The ATO response to many posts lately seems to be .. " Its self assessment so here is the criteria and make up your own mind ".  If you take care to LOOK you will see from the poster's respones like "unhelpfull" etc .. that they are just dumbfounded by this....  

Why???  Well why do think ??  Could it possibly be that they have questions that they want answered so when they see that the ATO just links then to the same ATO website page that they have just read, that they also get annoyed and frustrated??   

Giving links to eligibility criteria is great, but then not answering the question or at the very least guiding them on the right path makes a lot of taxpayers wonder why they even bother to come to this forum.   That is why I and other non-ATO contributors try to assist as best we can..   Then to make things worse when someone from the ATO decides they can improve their own answer from what a non-ATO contributor has stated, just makes the ATO look foolish to say the least.  

Furthermore, taxpayers have been in an income tax "self assessment" mode for decades so telling them its all self assessment is just a cop out..... . what was the purpose of this forum afterall ??.

I shall leave you with those thoughts...

@NateATO  Thanks Again 

Taxicorn

Replies 3

@dirk 

Now you know why my visits are becoming less frequent..Smiley Happy

Devotee

Replies 2

@macfanboy 

YES indeed .....    

BTW did you know that there are ATO officers that contribute to this site covertly under the guise of non-ATO contributors ...

have a look at this ... https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/COVID-19-response/Receive-new-JK-2-0-rules-as-soon-as-they-are-relea...

Makes you wonder why the ATO allow this to happen ...

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@dirk 

It's probably an attempt to distract attention....

Devotee

Replies 0

@macfanboy 

Yes indeed ...    I think they are trying to make others posts look incorrect when they are not ..... 

they are making a mockery of this entire forum ..... 

if you look at that thread again you will see that the ATO are now playing ingnorant ....   they treat all non-ATO people the same and I don't think its going to change anytime soon, because they continue to think we are fools ...

@macfanboy 

They have now also removed that entire thread from their "featured" ... their own actions just compound everything,  ...

Iif I have not done anything wrong I would not try to cover my tracks ... only those that have something to hide do that

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @Lala1004 

I bet your wondering why the ATO are providing an response which does not assist you in the slightest because like many you would probably have seen the COVID-19 early release criteria before you even asked the question.

By the sounds your husband does qualify because his business as a sole trader was suspended ... I have provided an extract from the  COVID-19  early release criteria and highlighted in blue the one criteria that your husband meets:

on or after 1 January 2020 either

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
  • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

All the best !!!