ATO Community

Superannuation guarantee and Job Keeper

Views 1492

Replies 4

My husband was stood down from work a month ago due to COVID-19 impacting his employer's business operations. He has now been recalled to work. His full time hours have been reduced so that he does not earn more than the Job Keeper amount ($1,500.00 per fortnight). His regular wage/salary is greater than $1,500.00 per fortnight.

My understanding is the superannuation guarantee applies to ordinary time earnings, i.e. wages paid for hours actually worked.

As such, his employer is required to make super contributions on at least the $1,500.00 per fortnight, and any additional earnings for hours worked up to his normal salary/wage. Is that correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @Yzzz,

New rules are being introduced by the government with the intention to not require super guarantee to be paid on additional payments made to employees as a result of JobKeeper. We will update this information once legislation is in place.

KylieS

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @Yzzz,

New rules are being introduced by the government with the intention to not require super guarantee to be paid on additional payments made to employees as a result of JobKeeper. We will update this information once legislation is in place.

KylieS

Replies 2

Hi, thank you however this is not for an "additional" payment. He's being paid less than his normal salary/wage. 

Perhaps if I rephrase: If you are performing work and only receiving the job keeper payment, is that considered ordinary time earnings?

Replies 1

Is there any clarity on this yet?

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Yzzz and @IanB

Thanks for reaching out to us.

While we now have plenty of information on our website about JobKeeper Payment that you can refer to, we are still working on how superannuation guarantee (SG) needs to be calculated. We should have some more information about that soon, so we suggest that you keep an eye on our website.

It is important to note that SG that is payable for the months of April, May and June isn't due to be paid until 28 July. For more information about when to pay super and how much to pay, have a look at our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR