Announcements
There have been some changes to the JobKeeper employee eligibility rules starting from 3 August 2020. Visit our website for more information or ask a question.

ATO Community

Taxfree threshold and Jobkeeper payment

Highlighted

Views 185

Replies 1

My son works casually in an RSL club and it is his ONLY job and has been employed for well over 12months. He chooses to not take the taxfree threshold which is all taken care of at tax time. His employer says for that reason he may not qualify for the Jobkeeper payment. Can you clarify?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RhondaLHunt 

I can't find any reason related to the Tax Free Threshold that would disqualify your son from receiving JobKeeper payments. 

Here are the eligiblity requirements stated in the FAQ page at the Department of Treasury: 

" Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer. "

This is all dependent on the employer being eligible themselves (experiencing a significant down-turn in turnover of 30% or 50% depending on their business structure).

So without further information I'm not sure what your son's employer is referring to. Hopefully the info I've provided above answers your question though. Have a great weekend, and stay safe!

Josh

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RhondaLHunt 

I can't find any reason related to the Tax Free Threshold that would disqualify your son from receiving JobKeeper payments. 

Here are the eligiblity requirements stated in the FAQ page at the Department of Treasury: 

" Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer. "

This is all dependent on the employer being eligible themselves (experiencing a significant down-turn in turnover of 30% or 50% depending on their business structure).

So without further information I'm not sure what your son's employer is referring to. Hopefully the info I've provided above answers your question though. Have a great weekend, and stay safe!

Josh