Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Unsure if I qualify for jobkeeper and if my employer is cashing in

Initiate

Views 591

Replies 5

Hi all,
I'm very confused by the wording about jobseeker.
I started working full-time hours as a casual at a new job on May 24.
As of two weeks ago, I stopped getting shifts due to 5 new employees, am I eligible?
Also how do I find out if my employer has been claiming jobkeeper and using it to pay us or now not pay us?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

If employed as a casual you need to have been 12 months as of 1st of July so that is not the case with you. The employee nomination form can only be provided to you by your employer - you can't just fill in one on your own

5 REPLIES 5

Devotee

Replies 4

You are clearly not eligible for Jobkeeper given your starting date as a casual

Initiate

Replies 3

I just called and spoke to someone on the phone who said I was eligible given the new July 1st changes
They couldn't tell me if the business was receiving anything and that I should fill out an employee nomination form

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

If employed as a casual you need to have been 12 months as of 1st of July so that is not the case with you. The employee nomination form can only be provided to you by your employer - you can't just fill in one on your own

Initiate

Replies 1

I thought so too but the person I just spoke to on the phone said as long as I was employed before July 1st.

Sorry I'm not trying to argue I'm just very confused

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Rachelle35 ,

@SM2304 appears to be correct given what you have said.

From https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Employers/Your-eligible-employees/

You appear not to be in either category as you are a casual with less than 12 months employment (I assume you started 24 May 2020 not 2019)

1. non-casual employee (whether full-time, part-time, or fixed-term)
2. long term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis during the 12 month period that ended 1 July) and not a permanent employee of any other employer

Unfortunately, I would agree you are not eligible for Jobkeeper under current rules.

I would suggest in future to always get the name and a reference from the person you speak to.

Your employer should only be claiming where they have a nomination form signed by the employee. No form, no jobkeeper, not sure how you check though.

Good luck and stay healthy.