Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: What happens when you had 2 jobs, one long term casual and one temp casual short term - jobkeepe

I'm new

Views 1090

Replies 5

I have a quick question if anyone could help.

When the coronavirus pandemic hit. My long standing casual job took job keeper as they were not able to open - I had just (3 days in) started a temporary casual job that was a 6 week casual position with less hours.
I was advised by a man at Centrelink and the long term casual accountant that I was allowed to get the job keeper if I put it at my higher taxed rate. At the time in the mess it was I said yes.

Now I am so so concerned I have done something wrong.
Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

Based on the information you have provided, it doesn't appear as though you have done anything wrong.

You can only claim the tax free threshold with one employer when you have multiple jobs. It would seem your original employer was advising you that they expected that you would be nominating your other (new) employer for that.

If you are back at that original job, and no longer doing the short term one, I would be checking that your first employer is again claiming the tax threshold on your behalf.

You may be getting a few extra dollars in your pocket at tax time due to this, based on the facts you described.

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

Based on the information you have provided, it doesn't appear as though you have done anything wrong.

You can only claim the tax free threshold with one employer when you have multiple jobs. It would seem your original employer was advising you that they expected that you would be nominating your other (new) employer for that.

If you are back at that original job, and no longer doing the short term one, I would be checking that your first employer is again claiming the tax threshold on your behalf.

You may be getting a few extra dollars in your pocket at tax time due to this, based on the facts you described.

I'm new

Replies 0

Yep Smiley Happy that’s exactly what I did, made sure that both weren’t tax free threshold and have now had my contract extended to possible permanent contract soon Smiley Happy
I asked because In my tax return activity they keep processing my tax return, first for let’s say 4xxx.xx then cancelling it putting me that amount in debt. Now they have set for two days in the future (?) to do the same thing but with a slightly smaller amount again leaving me in DR.
I’m so paranoid because at the moment I’m the only employed one and relying on it Smiley Sad

I'm new

Replies 1

also thank you so much!!!

Devotee

Replies 0

It may be that the ATO have received additional information from employers, or private health etc that may be the reason you see figures constantly changing. They may also be reviewing your return possibly.

This is why I am always reluctant to complete my tax return as soon as the new financial year rolls in. I like to make sure I have everything in order, so I only have to do my return once, and not have to request an amendment.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Samlma,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately your situation is not very clear, but I will summarise the main points:

• You are currently receiving Job Keeper from your long term casual employer
  • You are also working a second temporary casual job and being paid a wage
  • You are paying tax at a higher tax rate based on advice provided to you

If the above statements are correct you have not done anything wrong.

You are able to have more than one employer and still receive JobKeeper. This appears to be you case as your long term casual employer is paying you JobKeeper.

If you have receive income from more than one employer we recommend that you don't claim the tax free threshold from your second employer. This reduces the chance of having a tax debt at the end of the financial year. If you don't cross the tax free threshold of $18,2000 any tax withheld will be refunded to you at the end of the financial year. However, if you do the sum of your income from both employers will need to be taxed at the correct tax rate.

Hope this helps,

JacquelineATO