Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Wife's JobKeeper payment questions

Initiate

Views 540

Replies 1

​Dear Community,
My wife works in a childcare centre (part-time employee) and was earning on average around​ $2200 per fortnight until March 27th. Due to reduced enrolments in her centre because of Coronavirus, her centre owner stood her down on 27th March and then onwards gave her only 6 hours of work in a week. My wife accepted the situation and decided to stay at home to be safe from virus in the current scenario. She is still an employee of this centre. Her centre will most likely be applying for her Jobkeeper payment.
1. Will she need to physically go to the centre and continue working there to get JobKeeper payment? Or can she stay safely at home to avoid virus and still get paid her JobKeeper payment?

2. Will the centre give her $2200 per fortnight or only $1500 per fortnight?
Treasury factsheet says: "If an employee receives $1,500 or more in income per fortnight before tax, they will continue to receive their regular income according to their prevailing workplace arrangements"

3. My wife has always worked different number of hours every week in the centre (due to weekly rosters), so her average pay was $2200 p.f. However some fortnights she had made $2400 p.f. also. What will be considered as her fortnightly income when she gets her JobKeeper payment?
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Assuming both the employer and your wife are eligible, it is up to your wife's employer if they choose to claim JobKeeper and if they choose to pay it to your wife. How many hours she needs to work for that is between the employer and your wife. I can't see why they would choose to pay above $1500 if your wife isn't working at all?
There should be more info coming out about the details of the proposal now it has passed parliament.
1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Assuming both the employer and your wife are eligible, it is up to your wife's employer if they choose to claim JobKeeper and if they choose to pay it to your wife. How many hours she needs to work for that is between the employer and your wife. I can't see why they would choose to pay above $1500 if your wife isn't working at all?
There should be more info coming out about the details of the proposal now it has passed parliament.