ATO Community

Re: Working excess hours over contract and not getting paid any extra only job keeper payment

I'm new

Views 620

Replies 2

Hello all I work in retail have a contract to work 27 hrs a week and getting paid job keeper allowance. Lately I have been picking up extra shifts  sometimes working 60 odd hrs a week in up to 11hrs shifts with out a break as every one else keeps booking off and still getting paid jobkeeper.  Should the company be paying me more than just jobkeeper for all these hours as my normal pay rate would take well past the jobkeeper payment. Thanking everyone in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You are not required to take on shifts in excess of your usual. If you take on more shifts you should be paid whatever  your usual hourly rate is (if it ends up being more than $1500 less tax per fortnight). You should talk to your employer about this first though as they may want others on JK picking up the shifts, so that they are not having to pay extra for you to do the work when your colleagues on Jk could do it and not cost the employer anything extra.

This thread contains a fuller answer and explains when an employer can request a casual do more hours under JK payments (see the ATO answer quoting the Fair Work website) https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/COVID-19-response/Accruing-time-taken-for-casual-sick-leave/td-p/893...   

@Raining wrote:

Hello all I work in retail have a contract to work 27 hrs a week and getting paid job keeper allowance. Lately I have been picking up extra shifts  sometimes working 60 odd hrs a week in up to 11hrs shifts with out a break as every one else keeps booking off and still getting paid jobkeeper.  Should the company be paying me more than just jobkeeper for all these hours as my normal pay rate would take well past the jobkeeper payment. Thanking everyone in advance..

2 REPLIES 2

Master

Replies 0

If you're earning more than $1500 normally then your employer should be paying you the extra

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Employees/How-much-you-will-get-from-your-employer/...

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You are not required to take on shifts in excess of your usual. If you take on more shifts you should be paid whatever  your usual hourly rate is (if it ends up being more than $1500 less tax per fortnight). You should talk to your employer about this first though as they may want others on JK picking up the shifts, so that they are not having to pay extra for you to do the work when your colleagues on Jk could do it and not cost the employer anything extra.

This thread contains a fuller answer and explains when an employer can request a casual do more hours under JK payments (see the ATO answer quoting the Fair Work website) https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/COVID-19-response/Accruing-time-taken-for-casual-sick-leave/td-p/893...   

@Raining wrote: