Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Working from home initial outlay

Views 954

Replies 3

Hello! does anyone know if the shortcut method of claiming for home office expenses of 80 cents per hour (under the COVID19 provisions) still allows for you to also seperately claim your initial capital outlay of working equipment? (i.e. the cost of buying a keyboard, monitor etc)

To work at home, I had to buy an ergonomic chair and a monitor and mouse and keyboard and cable for home to connect to my work laptop (each item was under $300 each and none of these items will ever be used for personal use as I have my own personal laptop). Can these items be claimed outright as they are under the $300 per item along with the 80 cents per hour shortcut method for home office expenses or not?

If not,  can I claim the fixed rate method of 52 cents per hour for my running costs i.e electricity/internet and then also claim the outright item costs that I had to pay to set up the working from home space? Thank you! :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Lecasta,

Great question, I am sure a lot of people will be looking at this deduction when its time to lodge returns. 

There is a lot of new information on the Covid-19 working from home  page. Yes you are able to claim the deduction for items under $300.

Hope this helps.

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 1

I think so.. would be good for some clarification but I think you can use the new shortcut method for operating costs and claim the outlay of items under the $300 threshold separately

Devotee

Replies 0

Biggie you are right......it is unclear. But check out this article. I think you cant claim the extra costs for capital outlay if you need to depreciate the items
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-08/working-from-home-coronavirus-shutdowns-tax-time-deduction...

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Lecasta,

Great question, I am sure a lot of people will be looking at this deduction when its time to lodge returns. 

There is a lot of new information on the Covid-19 working from home  page. Yes you are able to claim the deduction for items under $300.

Hope this helps.

KylieS