Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Working off back paid hours + reduced hours

Views 750

Replies 1

I am a full-time employee currently working reduced hours as LWOP due to COVID-19 and am since earning less than $1500 gross a fortnight. My employer has back paid me for the past 4 weeks to meet the $1500 eligibility criteria.

My employer is now saying that I need to work off the back paid hours as technically I haven't worked them and they are currently paying this from their pocket (no subsidy received yet). Is this allowed? Do I have to work off back paid hours even though the subsidy will cover this when received?

Ordinarily I would work 76 hours a fortnight. However, with the upcoming JobKeeper payment my employer only wants to increase my hours to 66 a fortnight which would just cover the $1500 minimum gross pay per fortnight in order to receive the JobKeeper payment.

Is my employer allowed to do this? Or should my employer reinstate my hours to the full 76 a fortnight, and then use the JobKeeper payment to subsidise my fortnightly pay by $1500 and then they pay the additional cost for the hours worked?

Any help would be much appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Penny117 

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

I recommend visiting the Fair Work Ombudsman website for Employer/Employee information. You will find information about COVID-19 and Workplace entitlements and obligations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ari

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Penny117 

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

I recommend visiting the Fair Work Ombudsman website for Employer/Employee information. You will find information about COVID-19 and Workplace entitlements and obligations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ari