Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Working together to protect our future

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Be fair @dirk she works at the ATO so its clearly a response. I think it's pretty safe to go off the information she provided and she's trying to help - be nice. Just a guess but I'm pretty sure the Commissioner is pretty busy right now... 

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi,

I saw an earlier post on the ATO Community page about things that the ATO is doing to help people impacted by Covid-19. I have a question regarding HECS repayments. 

Up until recently, my husband and I both worked fulltime. However, since the Coronaviris pandemic hit we have found ourselves in financial hardship. My husband just lost his job and it is almost impossible to find a new one at the moment. Within days we have gone from a comfortable double income to barely being able to make ends meet. 

As I still have my job we do not qualify for any of the government initiatives. I know that there are a lot of people finding themselves in the same position as us and I have been trying to think of a way that the government could help. 

One huge expense for us is HECS repayments and not having to pay that would really free up some much-needed cash that we could then use to pay our rent and stay afloat. 

Has the government considered waiving HECS repayments for the rest of the financial year? I think this is something that could really help a lot of families and would not cost the government too much as they could simply defer the payments and people would still pay off the same amount in the end.

Thank you, I look forward to your response. 

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

@Awhitty  we are sorry to hear you are in this situation and understand how difficult this must be.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is feedback and ideas like this that can help shape the government’s response. We can certainly understand why you would suggest this as an option. Right now government has a huge number of policy proposals they are working through so we’re escalating your idea for consideration and will let you know of any updates.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Why temporary residents can't access their superannuation if they lost their jobs? Why they dont have this right? Why they are treated differently if they are considered resident for tax purposes? Thanks for your time to explain this difference, because when it's about paying taxtes to the Governemt they are not different from permanet residents or Australian citizens.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

@GiovanniCalandr residency isn’t a criteria to access your super early due to COVID-19. To apply, you just need to satisfy one or more of the following:

• You’re unemployed
  • You’re eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment, special benefit or farm household allowance.
  • On or after 1 January 2020, either
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you’re a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more

Read more about early access to your super on our website.

Highlighted

Replies 4

Firstly I'm a employee, not an employer, however I haven't been able to find clear information regarding the $1500 Jobkeeper payment anywhere. Hoping you can help?

I was retrenched this week, I'm a casual employee that satisfies the criteria. I'm ineligible for any welfare assistance due to my partner's income. I have a 3yo and another baby due in June.

Whether or not I'm able to receive this payment is unclear to me due to the following:

1. What if my employer just doesn't want to apply for the jobkeeper payment? Is it mandatory?
2. What if they don't have the cash flow to do so (and paying me more than they usually would) without reimbursement from the government until May?
3. What if you were already leaving the job and not returning? (I.e pregnancy) What is the incentive to pay an employee who won't be around in 6 months anyway?
4. I'm eligible for PPL from the end of June, will this $1500 payment cease and I'll transfer to PPL, or will I have this for 6 months than go onto PPL?
5. What if the business hasn't had a 30% decline? Then I lose my income and just nothing?

Thanks!
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 3

@MtotheY it’s a very upsetting time and I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been retrenched. The Job Keeper payment is still being discussed in Parliament so it could undergo changes before it becomes law.

It sounds like you have already read through the likely eligibility criteria on Treasury's website and information page which says that casual employees are eligible as long as they have been with that employer for 12 months and they are an Australian citizen. As for the rest of your questions, we will need to wait until this becomes law. When this happens, we will update our Job Keeper news article to assist you further. For now, you can register your interest for updates via our website.

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you! I'll keep tabs on this.
So a bit preemptive to be contacting my employer already then?
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Correct @MtotheY, best to wait until more information is available.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

yeah i think it might be a bit early