Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

covid19 early super release

I'm new

Views 587

Replies 1

hi there,,

i am on Job seeker having lost one job and stood down from the other. i have been approved for early release of super so no issue there with me.

my question is, can my wife who has not worked for a number of years also make a claim for early release of some funds from her super as well?

thanks guys, looking forward to a response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mmickyg,

If she is unemployed and a citizen/permanent resident, absolutely. We do not stipulate that the unemployment must be specifically due to Covid-19 reasons. The requirements are very broad, and you only need to meet one.

From the early access to Super information page on our website:

To apply for early release, you must satisfy one or more of the following requirements:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.
  • On or after 1 January 2020, either
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you were a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more.

Hope this helps!

Josh

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mmickyg,

If she is unemployed and a citizen/permanent resident, absolutely. We do not stipulate that the unemployment must be specifically due to Covid-19 reasons. The requirements are very broad, and you only need to meet one.

From the early access to Super information page on our website:

To apply for early release, you must satisfy one or more of the following requirements:

• You are unemployed.
  • You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance.
  • On or after 1 January 2020, either
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
    • if you were a sole trader, your business was suspended or there was a reduction in your turnover of 20% or more.

Hope this helps!

Josh