Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: jobkeeper and work injury

Highlighted

Views 701

Replies 1

If I am receiving job keeper and i have a work injury and can not work I am aware i am inelgible for job keeper if i lodge a workers compensation claim.   In this case i would get paid more to stay on job keeper and not work than to claim via the compensation system. ( was only a casual and did not get many hours ) 

If however i do down the track decide to claim for my worker injury  ( ie if i need surgery or soemthing later on ) within the 6 month period i am allowed to under compensation law still lodge a claim ,  will there be a chance i may incur a debit and  have to repay job keeper money? How could this link up with the workers compensation  system ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @CEECMICH,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

If an employee is receiving workers compensation, they will be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment if they are working, for example, on reduced hours, but will generally not be eligible if they are not working.

Please see the following thread for guidance: JobKeeper Payment and Workers Compensation.

The below information is from the Treasury FAQ's:

Can I receive the JobKeeper payment for employees in receipt of Workcover?

Employees will not be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment if they are fully incapacitated, unable to work and being supported by a workers compensation scheme. In other cases, employees would be eligible as they are in an employment relationship with their employer, provided their employer has an obligation to pay some component of their salary or wages. If your employee is fully compensated under your workcover insurance, they will be ineligible for the JobKeeper Payment.

It would be best to check with the regulator in your State for additional guidance about workers compensation.

Below, has information regarding employers who have paid an employee JobKeeper and they are found not to be eligible:

What if I pay my employees and find out they aren’t eligible?

Eligibility for JobKeeper payments is a self-assessment process and employers are responsible for checking with their employees they meet the eligibility requirements prior to paying their employees. If a payment is made and we later determine that the entity was not entitled to that payment, the entity will be required to repay the overpaid amount.

If you find you are not eligible you would need to contact your employer to advise that you are not eligible for the payment and pay the money back to the employer.

All the best and I hope this information helps.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @CEECMICH,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

If an employee is receiving workers compensation, they will be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment if they are working, for example, on reduced hours, but will generally not be eligible if they are not working.

Please see the following thread for guidance: JobKeeper Payment and Workers Compensation.

The below information is from the Treasury FAQ's:

Can I receive the JobKeeper payment for employees in receipt of Workcover?

Employees will not be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment if they are fully incapacitated, unable to work and being supported by a workers compensation scheme. In other cases, employees would be eligible as they are in an employment relationship with their employer, provided their employer has an obligation to pay some component of their salary or wages. If your employee is fully compensated under your workcover insurance, they will be ineligible for the JobKeeper Payment.

It would be best to check with the regulator in your State for additional guidance about workers compensation.

Below, has information regarding employers who have paid an employee JobKeeper and they are found not to be eligible:

What if I pay my employees and find out they aren’t eligible?

Eligibility for JobKeeper payments is a self-assessment process and employers are responsible for checking with their employees they meet the eligibility requirements prior to paying their employees. If a payment is made and we later determine that the entity was not entitled to that payment, the entity will be required to repay the overpaid amount.

If you find you are not eligible you would need to contact your employer to advise that you are not eligible for the payment and pay the money back to the employer.

All the best and I hope this information helps.