Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

non-concessional and spouse contribution

Highlighted

Views 79

Replies 1

My client has used the bring forward rule to contribute $300,000.00 non concessional to her Industrial Fund for the year ended 30 June 2019., However, the spouse also make a spouse contribution of $3,000.00. Now she received an excess non-concessional contribution assessment. My client is aged 40..

My questions are 1) Is spouse contribution is regarded as non-concessional contribution ?

2) If the answer to (1) is yes, will the $540 tax offset to the spouse will be rejected ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PeterNg

Thanks for your post.

There are a number of contribution types that are classed as non-concessional contributions with personal (undeducted) contributions being the most common. Spouse contributions are also non-concessional.

For more information about non-concessional contributions, have a look at our website.

Your client can only claim the tax offset for super contributions on behalf of your spouse if all the requirements as outlined on our website have been met. You will see that one of those requirements is that their spouse hasn't exceeded the non-concessional contributions cap.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PeterNg

Thanks for your post.

There are a number of contribution types that are classed as non-concessional contributions with personal (undeducted) contributions being the most common. Spouse contributions are also non-concessional.

For more information about non-concessional contributions, have a look at our website.

Your client can only claim the tax offset for super contributions on behalf of your spouse if all the requirements as outlined on our website have been met. You will see that one of those requirements is that their spouse hasn't exceeded the non-concessional contributions cap.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris