Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

tax from multiple employers

I'm new

Views 461

Replies 1

Hi there,

since the beginning of the COVID 19 crisis, i have lost my job, however qualify for job keeper. I have since picked up a second job. I have claimed tax free on my first job (job keeper one), as will earn more money through this than my second job, and have not claimed tax free on the second. I have no way to calculate my income for the year due to inconsistent shifts that change weekly. I dont beleive i will be over 18200 normally however the job keeper, i would say, would push me over this threshold, hence my not claiming tax free on my second job. Since changing my claim to not tax free on my second job, my tax payment for my weekly income went up to over 28% of my total income (paid 160 tax for 570 income, giving nett 410), far beyond the tax bracket i expect i will be in. My question is, if i am under 18200, or even under 37000 as i know i will be, will i be able to claim back my overpayment even though i am not claiming tax free?

thanks very much,

lachie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@lachieh 

You only pay tax on your total taxable income.

Doesn't matter if you claimed the tax-free threshold or not.

Once your total taxable income is known, an amount will be calculated and you will either owe money or receive money back depending on how much tax you've paid.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@lachieh 

You only pay tax on your total taxable income.

Doesn't matter if you claimed the tax-free threshold or not.

Once your total taxable income is known, an amount will be calculated and you will either owe money or receive money back depending on how much tax you've paid.