Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: what can I do if partner receive the job keeper and refuse go to work?

Initiate

Views 817

Replies 9

Hi there,

My partner still receive the job keeper as business partner but he refuse go to work with no reasonable reason? is it legal?

what should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 7

He has to be actively involved in running the business. Otherwise he is committing fraud, claiming JK when he is not entitled to it. Check out the ATO site for information about "business participant"

As his business partner, you are also responsible if he makes false claims! You have to make him stop claiming (or make him be actively involved in the business). 

9 REPLIES 9

Devotee

Replies 0

It is illegal & he can be disqualified from Jobkeeper

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 7

He has to be actively involved in running the business. Otherwise he is committing fraud, claiming JK when he is not entitled to it. Check out the ATO site for information about "business participant"

As his business partner, you are also responsible if he makes false claims! You have to make him stop claiming (or make him be actively involved in the business). 

Initiate

Replies 6

What should I do to let him to attent to our business? It is difficult to let him go to work if he do not want.

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Byfi,

If you are concerned that your Partner is doing the wrong thing in relation to the JobKeeper payment, you can tell us about it by reporting illegal or behaviour of concern through Making a Tip off.

We will be examining JobKeeper Tip-Offs and contacting businesses where we have concerns and need more information. 

In regards to your question on how to make your Business Partner tend to work, that's not something that we can advise on. You may need to seek legal advice for this issue.

Links

Making a tip off.

Initiate

Replies 0

thank you for explaination.I will show these reply to him.

Devotee

Replies 3

tell him he is committing fraud!

If that doesn't give him an incentive to work, then, if I was in your position, I would be getting out of the partnership as soon as possible

@Byfi wrote:

What should I do to let him to attent to our business? It is difficult to let him go to work if he do not want.

Initiate

Replies 2

it is hard to end the partnership if I still want to keep the business running

Initiate

Replies 1

what evidence should I keep to proof he did not participate the business?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Byfi

We understand this is a difficult situation to be tied up in. 

From our side of things, we can only give examples of evidence. There's no hard right or wrong in what counts as evidence. Some suggestions would be written proof (such as text messages or online messages) of showing him he needs to be actively engaged to be eligible, and keeping time log records of when you worked and his responses when you've asked/told him he needs to work. 

Some links to help:

When you're actively engaged in the business

Overview of record-keeping rules for businesses