ATO Community

Re: CFD losses

I'm new

Views 2250

Replies 1

I have made a loss from CFD trading. I have established that I am not a business, however I was looking to make a gain, so it is included as a loss. I believe I can claim these losses against other individual unrelated income in my tax retrun. Is that correct? and where do I enter this in the 2018 tax return as I cannot see a releveant section?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Pres,

Welcome to our Community!

We've answer a similar query previously on our Community which you can find here.

If you're in the business of trading and lodge your income tax return online via myGov, you can report your net income or loss in the Business income or losses section. You can also find more information about income and deductions for business on our website. 

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Pres,

Welcome to our Community!

We've answer a similar query previously on our Community which you can find here.

If you're in the business of trading and lodge your income tax return online via myGov, you can report your net income or loss in the Business income or losses section. You can also find more information about income and deductions for business on our website. 

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.