Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Cryptocurrency for tax return

Highlighted

Views 1349

Replies 2

Hello everyone,

My name is Max and I'm new to this. I just have a question in relation to cryptocurrency and tax return. I have read on the myGov website that, if you hold more than $10,000 worth of crypto, you need to declare it. I have called the ATO and asked. There response was, "since it's a grey area, you don't really have to". I was wondering if anyone could assist me? I'm holding less then $10,000 worth and it's all personal use, long term.

Kind Regards,

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MaximilianB

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - you only need to declare information if you've dispose (sold, gifted or traded) cryptocurrency. You can find more information in our guide on How do I calculate capital gains tax on cryptocurrencies?. Alternatively, you can find information on our website

Thanks, JodieH. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You don't have to declare 'holding' it only if you sell or convert it to another digital currency.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MaximilianB

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - you only need to declare information if you've dispose (sold, gifted or traded) cryptocurrency. You can find more information in our guide on How do I calculate capital gains tax on cryptocurrencies?. Alternatively, you can find information on our website

Thanks, JodieH.