ATO Community

Cryptocurrency for tax return

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 661

Replies 2

Hello everyone,

My name is Max and I'm new to this. I just have a question in relation to cryptocurrency and tax return. I have read on the myGov website that, if you hold more than $10,000 worth of crypto, you need to declare it. I have called the ATO and asked. There response was, "since it's a grey area, you don't really have to". I was wondering if anyone could assist me? I'm holding less then $10,000 worth and it's all personal use, long term.

Kind Regards,

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MaximilianB

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - you only need to declare information if you've dispose (sold, gifted or traded) cryptocurrency. You can find more information in our guide on How do I calculate capital gains tax on cryptocurrencies?. Alternatively, you can find information on our website

Thanks, JodieH. 

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You don't have to declare 'holding' it only if you sell or convert it to another digital currency.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MaximilianB

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - you only need to declare information if you've dispose (sold, gifted or traded) cryptocurrency. You can find more information in our guide on How do I calculate capital gains tax on cryptocurrencies?. Alternatively, you can find information on our website

Thanks, JodieH. 

Top Solution Authors