Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

How to write off worthless coins from failed cryptos, I can't sell because there is no active market

I'm new

Views 661

Replies 1

I have some old alt coins that I bought years ago that no longer trade on any markets, how can I trigger a CGT disposal event so I can claim the cgt loss this year? I can't sell sell them, and they were not stolen, and not scams, just failed projects, with no buyers, so they have zero value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Boon

Thanks for your post.

Interesting question. We do have some information on our website that deals with the loss or theft of cryptocurrency but from what you have advised that may not apply to your situation.

You may want to request an early engagement discussion with us. For more information about out our early engagement for advice service, refer to our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Boon

Thanks for your post.

Interesting question. We do have some information on our website that deals with the loss or theft of cryptocurrency but from what you have advised that may not apply to your situation.

You may want to request an early engagement discussion with us. For more information about out our early engagement for advice service, refer to our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR