Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Mining as hobby then selling the crypto later

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 120

Replies 1

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can provide some advice or guidance.

Back in the first 6 months of 2013, I performed bitcoin mining to learn about the technology.

I work in the IT industry so I consider keeping up to date with new technology as part of my job.

As a result of this mining (Jan-Jul 2013) I ended up with approx 4 bitcoin.

Fast forward to 2018, and I sold these 4 bitcoin.

Is there any tax implication or liability due for the sale of these 4 bitcoin?

Thanks

Ryan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @Ryan2,

Cryptocurrency is usually considered an investment asset on which you would have to pay capital gains tax. By the sounds of it you would be eligible for a 50% discount on your capital gains tax as you held them for over a year.

We have some information on our website about the tax treatment of cryptocurrencies which should cover everything you need to do.

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @Ryan2,

Cryptocurrency is usually considered an investment asset on which you would have to pay capital gains tax. By the sounds of it you would be eligible for a 50% discount on your capital gains tax as you held them for over a year.

We have some information on our website about the tax treatment of cryptocurrencies which should cover everything you need to do.

Thanks, NateH