Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Cancelling a 651 visitor visa

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 797

Replies 6

Hi,

I recently left Australia after my WHV 417 expired. I have departed Australia and moved to New Zealand.

I had planned to pass through Australia on my way back to the UK where I am from, and so applied for a visitor visa (651) which was granted.

In applying for my DASP, I have been notified that I cannot submit my application as I have a current visa (the visitor 651).

I no longer wish to re-enter Australia on my tourist visa if it means I cannot access my super. I didn't realise this was the case.

I've tried to cancel my visitor visa but this is not an option on the website. It says I cannot cancel a visa once it has been granted.

Please can someone give me some advice about how I can cancel the 651 visa?

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/cancelling-a-visa

Request a visa cancellation

If you hold one of the visas listed below, or any other temporary visa with less than 6 months validity, we will not process requests for voluntary cancellation:

When your visa has expired, see how to Access your super.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 3

@Cariad 

Not really sure as it has nothing to do with Taxation, sorry.

Google it.

It seems that you can not cancel it and have to wait for it to expire before accessing DSAP.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

DASP is directly related to visas. Applications are dependent on certain visa criteria. I don't think it was unreasonable of me to assume that people with insight about claiming DASP would know about how visas affect these claims, and if googling it had given me an answer then I wouldn't have posted on here.
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/cancelling-a-visa

Request a visa cancellation

If you hold one of the visas listed below, or any other temporary visa with less than 6 months validity, we will not process requests for voluntary cancellation:

When your visa has expired, see how to Access your super.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Yes, this is the reason for my post, as I mentioned.
Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi, 

I'm in the exact same situation... @macfanboy or anyone else, who can provide information not already on the Department's website? Why does it have to be so complicated to claim our super? Leaving Australia is already hard enough...

Also, is the super completely lost if we wait more than 6 months or can we wait for, say, 1 year (till the evisitor visa expires) to apply?

Many thanks,

Julia

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JuliaGouyeah

Thanks for your post.

You can only apply for a DASP if you meet all of the eligibility criteria. For more information about your eligibility for DASP including the temporary visa requirements, refer to our website.

If you don't claim your DASP within six months of leaving Australia and your visa no longer being in effect, your super fund will transfer your super to us. We will then keep hold of it until you submit a DASP claim. In other words, you won't lose it.

Once you are eligible and ready to submit your application, the easiest way to apply is via the DASP online application system. You can use the same online system to claim super held by your fund as well as super held by us. For more information about how to claim your super, have a look at our website.

From what you have advised, assuming that you meet the rest of the criteria, you will be able to submit your DASP application after your current temporary visa expires.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR