Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

DASP application, having held WHM in the past (but no associated contribution under WHM)

Views 2047

Replies 1

Hi

I was about to do the DASP and before I submitted the application, I was presented with this scary warning:

"The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has advised that you have held working holiday maker (WHM) visa(s).

If you have never held a WHM visa, you need to contact the DIBP. Visit our DASP help page for more information.

Do not submit your application as your WHM visa(s) will be shown to your super fund once the application is submitted. Your super fund will use this visa information to determine the appropriate DASP tax rate(s).

As the DIBP advised you have held a WHM visa, the 65% rate may apply to your payment. ..."

I am aware of the new tax rate that is applied to all DASP since July last year. However I don't think it's applicable to me (even though I did hold WHM in the past) since none of the contribution to my current super funds was from when I was under WHM. I have also already withdrawed all the funds when I left Australia after my WHM expired.

How can I be certain that I would be taxed at a correct rate? All those warnings have put me off from submitting the dasp application. Should I just advise my fund manager of my situation in advance or it's not really necessary?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @emktx,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you can make a claim for a DASP if you accumulated superannuation while working in Australia on a temporary resident working holiday visa (WHM), your visa is now cancelled and you have left Australia. A WHM visa refers to a:

• subclass 417 (working holiday) visa
  • subclass 462 (work and holiday) visa
  • related bridging visa.

The DASP tax rate will be determined by each super fund individually, as each super fund is making a separate payment. Each super fund will assess your application and determine the tax rate to apply based on the information it holds in relation to your contributions. If you have held a WHM visa, your super fund will check whether the DASP includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa. If it does, the super fund will apply the DASP WHM tax rate. If it doesn’t, the super fund will apply the DASP ordinary tax rates.

You can find information about DASP in our Knowledge base articles on our Community or on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @emktx,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you can make a claim for a DASP if you accumulated superannuation while working in Australia on a temporary resident working holiday visa (WHM), your visa is now cancelled and you have left Australia. A WHM visa refers to a:

• subclass 417 (working holiday) visa
  • subclass 462 (work and holiday) visa
  • related bridging visa.

The DASP tax rate will be determined by each super fund individually, as each super fund is making a separate payment. Each super fund will assess your application and determine the tax rate to apply based on the information it holds in relation to your contributions. If you have held a WHM visa, your super fund will check whether the DASP includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa. If it does, the super fund will apply the DASP WHM tax rate. If it doesn’t, the super fund will apply the DASP ordinary tax rates.

You can find information about DASP in our Knowledge base articles on our Community or on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.