ATO Community

DASP tax rate

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 385

Replies 1

I have completed the form to receive my super payment as I have left Australia. 

When in Australia I was on a Working Holiday visa for 6 months and then a 457 visa for the reamaining 4 years. 

Can you please let me know if the 65% Working Holiday tax rate will be applied to all of my super earned? Or will they only tax the super earned in the first 6 months at the higher rate, and then the remaining super at the rate appropriate for the 457 visa? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @CMoss17

Although this may not be the answer you wanted to hear, however it sounds like you've worked whilst transitioning from a WHM to a 457 visa. In this situation (if you have held both WHM and non-WHM visas) the law doesn't allow for apportionment.

If your DASP payment includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa, the 65% tax rate applies to the DASP. This is the case even if the DASP is not wholly comprised of amounts attributable to those contributions. 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/APRA-regulated-funds/In-detail/APRA-resources/Questions-and-answers/DAS...

What if a DASP includes, but is not wholly comprised of, amounts attributable to super contributions made while the person held a WHM visa?

The law does not allow for apportionment. If the payment includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while the person held a WHM visa, the 65% tax rate applies to the taxed and untaxed elements of the taxable component of the DASP. This is the case if the DASP is not wholly comprised of amounts attributable to those contributions.

All the best

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @CMoss17

Although this may not be the answer you wanted to hear, however it sounds like you've worked whilst transitioning from a WHM to a 457 visa. In this situation (if you have held both WHM and non-WHM visas) the law doesn't allow for apportionment.

If your DASP payment includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa, the 65% tax rate applies to the DASP. This is the case even if the DASP is not wholly comprised of amounts attributable to those contributions. 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/APRA-regulated-funds/In-detail/APRA-resources/Questions-and-answers/DAS...

What if a DASP includes, but is not wholly comprised of, amounts attributable to super contributions made while the person held a WHM visa?

The law does not allow for apportionment. If the payment includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while the person held a WHM visa, the 65% tax rate applies to the taxed and untaxed elements of the taxable component of the DASP. This is the case if the DASP is not wholly comprised of amounts attributable to those contributions.

All the best

Top Solution Authors