• 25092 Posts

ATO Community

Foreigners departing Australia: Payment via cheque

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 363

Replies 1

Hi,

I departed Australia a few months ago and so fulfilled an early tax return.

Today I received the notification of my return but was really surprised when I saw it would be refunded via cheque. How does the ATO want me to deposit a cheque in my Australia bank from Europe?

I would like to cancel the cheque and get the EFT payment that I should have received from the beginning considering all my details are fulfilled on the form and also on mygov. I kept my Australian bank account opened just for this purpose.

How can I request the cheque to be cancelled and and EFT payment to be issued? It is not easy to call the ATO with 10 hours time difference.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

You can phone or Skype the ATO from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 5pm (AEDT), Monday to Friday and let the operator know you are calling from overseas to request a callback.

They would only issue a cheque if you did not provide any banking details or they were incomplete.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

You can phone or Skype the ATO from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 5pm (AEDT), Monday to Friday and let the operator know you are calling from overseas to request a callback.

They would only issue a cheque if you did not provide any banking details or they were incomplete.

Top Solution Authors