Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

How to get unpaid super after leaving country

Views 535

Replies 4

My working holiday visa finished and I left the country and applied for my 2/3 super accounts to be closed. A few months down the line my boss told me he owed me $900 that had bounced back from my old super account. Because I had started working for him over 6 months prior I assumed it would have been in my account already. How can he get it over to me with no current working holiday visa/super account open. I don’t want to get him in trouble but I also need it to be fairly simple as he’s gone quiet on me and I could reallyyyyy use the money
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @1Ruby,

Thanks for your question.

This is a unique situation. Your employer must pay your super contributions to a complying Australian super fund. If they have failed to pay it on time, they should refer to the super guarantee charge (SGC) information on our website as they may need to pay it to us.

Once the money has been received you will be able to access it using the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) system. In case you weren't aware tax will be withheld from your DASP payment when it is made to you.

When employers fail to pay super on time due to a closed account, we usually suggest that they open a new account and promptly pay it. From what you've said it doesn't sound like your employer has done that. If it is possible I would try to discuss this with him. If they aren't able to assist, you may want to go down the path of reporting your employer as you have outstanding unpaid super.

All the best.

JacquelineATO

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @1Ruby,

Thanks for your question.

This is a unique situation. Your employer must pay your super contributions to a complying Australian super fund. If they have failed to pay it on time, they should refer to the super guarantee charge (SGC) information on our website as they may need to pay it to us.

Once the money has been received you will be able to access it using the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) system. In case you weren't aware tax will be withheld from your DASP payment when it is made to you.

When employers fail to pay super on time due to a closed account, we usually suggest that they open a new account and promptly pay it. From what you've said it doesn't sound like your employer has done that. If it is possible I would try to discuss this with him. If they aren't able to assist, you may want to go down the path of reporting your employer as you have outstanding unpaid super.

All the best.

JacquelineATO

Replies 0

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I don’t want to get him in trouble at all, but not sure what to do as he hasn’t replied to my last couple of messages. I think because he is so busy he doesn’t have time to look into to it - what is the easiest way for him to get this money to me? Can he open a super for me even though my visa has expired? Don’t want to get him fined or anything but really really need the money.

Thanks,
Eve

Replies 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I don’t want to get him in trouble at all, but not sure what to do as he hasn’t replied to my last couple of messages. I think because he is so busy he doesn’t have time to look into to it - what is the easiest way for him to get this money to me? Can he open a super for me even though my visa has expired? Don’t want to get him fined or anything but really really need the money.

Thanks,
Eve

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @1Ruby

Thanks for getting back to us.

If you don't want to report your employer to us, we suggest that you send them a link to the missed and late payments page on our website and ask them to fix up your super. Give them a date that you would like it to be sorted by. If they don't have it rectified by that date, you can then explore your other options.

While you don't want to get them into trouble (which is very nice of you), the easiest way for them to make a late super payment (which it sounds like it is) is to pay it to us. Unless it is determined that lodging a super guarantee charge (SGC) statement isn't necessary (they can call us to find out), paying your super into a new super account won't change their SGC requirements.

Once your super has been paid, you can submit your DASP application. As long as you meet all the DASP eligibility requirements, you will be able to claim super that is held by your super fund as well as super held by us.

Good luck with it.