Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

I live overseas (Canada) and recently closed my super. 35% if it was deducted.

Views 58

Replies 1

I lived in Australia as a permanent resident for 18 years and left 10 years ago at age 60 taking most of my super money.

I recently closed my super taking out the final 5% or so of what had once been there. Despite being aged 70 and the recipient of an Australian pension in Canada, I was forced to go through the DASP process to do this (which I completed). However,  35% of the money was then deducted which was a little startling as I have not paid this on previous extractions from the super.

Is this really a tax I have to pay ?  Or do I need to file a tax return which I haven't done in 10 years or will the ATO just sort it out ?  Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rvpepin,

If you requested your super through DASP online then you would have the DASP tax rate applied. If you were a previous resident of Australia and accessed it through the retirement provision, once you are over 60yrs of age, the taxed element and tax free component are no longer reportable on your return. Only the untaxed element has tax applied irrespective of how old you are. You can use this link to view how tax applies to your super when you dont access it via DASP.  

The fact that you have claimed it as a DASP may mean you cannot access the entire tax paid. However, if you lodge a return showing the super amount and tax paid, you may be entitled to some/all of it back. You would need to report you are currently a non resident for tax purposes. 

Meanwhile you can email superadvice@ato.gov.au for further guidance on your options. 

All the best.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rvpepin,

If you requested your super through DASP online then you would have the DASP tax rate applied. If you were a previous resident of Australia and accessed it through the retirement provision, once you are over 60yrs of age, the taxed element and tax free component are no longer reportable on your return. Only the untaxed element has tax applied irrespective of how old you are. You can use this link to view how tax applies to your super when you dont access it via DASP.  

The fact that you have claimed it as a DASP may mean you cannot access the entire tax paid. However, if you lodge a return showing the super amount and tax paid, you may be entitled to some/all of it back. You would need to report you are currently a non resident for tax purposes. 

Meanwhile you can email superadvice@ato.gov.au for further guidance on your options. 

All the best.