Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Partial super fund transfers

Highlighted

Views 189

Replies 1

Hello,

I am well aware that for those who have a super fund that contain contributions made whilst on a WHV, the tax rate for the entire fund will be at 65%.

I also understand however that if the fund only contains contributions whilst on a 482 visa for example, then the DASP tax rate will be lower, at 35%.

I currently have two supers. Fund 1 has a combination of the above and Fund 2 is purely made up of payments whilst on my 482 visa.

What I want to know is whether it is possible to partially transfer the non-WHV payments from fund 1 into fund 2, resulting in the second fund being exclusively made up of contributions made whilst on the 482.

My thinking here is that it would then allow for the total amount in fund 2 to be taxed at the lower DASP rate of 35%.

It should be quite clear what I’m trying to achieve here. I want to have the least amount of my super taxed at the higher rate, allowing me to take as much cash with me to put back into my pension in the UK.

Hope that all makes sense! Advice would be greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @UK-M-482-Visa

Thanks for your post.

You have asked a similar question in another thread. You can check out our answer here: Claims / Tax on Super under a 482 Visa

As you can see, you can request a partial rollover if you like but it won't have the desired effect.

If you have any doubts about the information that we have provided, you could get in touch with your super funds to find out how it all works. You may also want to seek some professional advice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @UK-M-482-Visa

Thanks for your post.

You have asked a similar question in another thread. You can check out our answer here: Claims / Tax on Super under a 482 Visa

As you can see, you can request a partial rollover if you like but it won't have the desired effect.

If you have any doubts about the information that we have provided, you could get in touch with your super funds to find out how it all works. You may also want to seek some professional advice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR