• 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Reopen a superannuation account after a DASP

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 476

Replies 1

Hello,
I spent a year in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa that has now expired, and I don’t know if I should request a DASP or not. I plan to come back to Australia to work in 5/10years applying for another WHV, so I wanted to ask if I would be able to reopen a commonwealth essential super fund if I request a DASP now. If not, can I leave my super fund there for years without the risk of losing the money due to inactivity?
Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Replies 0

Hi @GioGottardo,

Welcome to the Community.

You can apply for a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) if you meet all the eligibility criteria.

Claiming a DASP doesn’t stop you from opening another super account in the future.

If you return to Australia at a later date, you can open a super account when you return – you’ll just need to check with your preferred super fund in case they have any conditions on opening an account.

Your super fund will transfer your super to us as unclaimed super if:

• You were a temporary resident and it’s been 6 months or more since you left Australia
  • Your visa has ceased to be in effect (so, expired or cancelled), and
  • You haven’t claimed a DASP.

If your super is transferred to us as, you can still claim your unclaimed super as a DASP

Thanks, NicM.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Replies 0

Hi @GioGottardo,

Welcome to the Community.

You can apply for a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) if you meet all the eligibility criteria.

Claiming a DASP doesn’t stop you from opening another super account in the future.

If you return to Australia at a later date, you can open a super account when you return – you’ll just need to check with your preferred super fund in case they have any conditions on opening an account.

Your super fund will transfer your super to us as unclaimed super if:

• You were a temporary resident and it’s been 6 months or more since you left Australia
  • Your visa has ceased to be in effect (so, expired or cancelled), and
  • You haven’t claimed a DASP.

If your super is transferred to us as, you can still claim your unclaimed super as a DASP

Thanks, NicM.

Top Solution Authors