• 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Super

Ask a question

Views 10

Replies 1

Hi,

I have emigrated back to my home town in the UK 2 years ago. I was in Australia on a permanent bs801 visa (partnered visa)

I am needing to withdraw my super to put towards buying a house here in the UK.

I am being told I can’t withdraw my super until my visa has been cancelled which isn’t until 2022, has anyone found a way to voluntary cancel there visa so I can’t withdraw this money before waiting another 3 years.

Also, once the money is released how much am I looking at being taxed etc?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Wazza123

Welcome to our Community.

If you are hoping to submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) claim, you will need to meet all of the eligibility criteria. You can view the criteria by having a look at the eligibility for DASP page on our website.

You have mentioned that you currently hold a permanent resident visa. If you have only ever held a permanent visa and not a temporary visa, then you won't be eligible for a DASP, even if you arrange to have your permanent visa cancelled.

You can however submit a DASP claim if your permanent visa ceases to be in effect and you previously held an eligible temporary resident visa which has also ceased to be in effect. This is because the DASP is for former eligible temporary resident visa holders.

If you're not eligible to submit a DASP claim, you may be able to access your super for a different reason. You can check out some of the other reasons by having a look at this recent thread: Super Withdrawal for Ex-Permanent Resident

You will need to meet a condition of release to be able to access your preserved super benefits. The above thread contains a link to our website where you can read about those other conditions of release.

If cancelling your permanent visa does make you eligible to submit a DASP claim (due to also being a former temporary resident visa holder), you can find out how to claim your super as well as how DASP is taxed on our website.

If you're not sure how to arrange the cancellation of your permanent visa, you will need to get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs. You can find links to their website and email address on the help with the DASP online application system page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Wazza123

Welcome to our Community.

If you are hoping to submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) claim, you will need to meet all of the eligibility criteria. You can view the criteria by having a look at the eligibility for DASP page on our website.

You have mentioned that you currently hold a permanent resident visa. If you have only ever held a permanent visa and not a temporary visa, then you won't be eligible for a DASP, even if you arrange to have your permanent visa cancelled.

You can however submit a DASP claim if your permanent visa ceases to be in effect and you previously held an eligible temporary resident visa which has also ceased to be in effect. This is because the DASP is for former eligible temporary resident visa holders.

If you're not eligible to submit a DASP claim, you may be able to access your super for a different reason. You can check out some of the other reasons by having a look at this recent thread: Super Withdrawal for Ex-Permanent Resident

You will need to meet a condition of release to be able to access your preserved super benefits. The above thread contains a link to our website where you can read about those other conditions of release.

If cancelling your permanent visa does make you eligible to submit a DASP claim (due to also being a former temporary resident visa holder), you can find out how to claim your super as well as how DASP is taxed on our website.

If you're not sure how to arrange the cancellation of your permanent visa, you will need to get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs. You can find links to their website and email address on the help with the DASP online application system page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Top Solution Authors