Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Tracing super

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 175

Replies 1

Good morning from Hastings NZ

I have returned home to NZ February 2019 to take care of my wife's parents (retired)

I worked in Australia (permanent resident) continously from May 1999 to Dec 2018 as a wage earner & on salary

My super balance held by the ATO does not I believe accurately relfect my period of employ in Australia

What are my options beyond using the ATO search for lost super tool

Taonui Gin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @taonui65

Thanks for your post.

If you haven't already done so, we recommend that you use our online service to check out what super details have been reported to us. You can access it via your myGov account.

For more information about managing your super online, have a look at the online services – super for individuals page on our website. If you don't have access to our online service, the individuals and sole traders page explains how to set it up.

Amongst other things, you will be able to view the super funds that have reported you as a member, super accounts that have been reported as lost as well as super that we are holding for you (ATO-held super).

If your balances are lower than expected, keep in mind that they're not updated in real-time. Apart from the super that we are holding, the balance held by your super fund is only updated with us once a year (usually in October).

It also important to note that balances can be affected by contributions, fees and charges, taxes and investment earnings (or losses). In turn, we recommend that you get in touch with your super fund (or funds) to find out how your balance was calculated.

If you believe that one of your employers hasn't paid your super correctly, we suggest that you refer to the unpaid super from your employer page for more information about what you can do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @taonui65

Thanks for your post.

If you haven't already done so, we recommend that you use our online service to check out what super details have been reported to us. You can access it via your myGov account.

For more information about managing your super online, have a look at the online services – super for individuals page on our website. If you don't have access to our online service, the individuals and sole traders page explains how to set it up.

Amongst other things, you will be able to view the super funds that have reported you as a member, super accounts that have been reported as lost as well as super that we are holding for you (ATO-held super).

If your balances are lower than expected, keep in mind that they're not updated in real-time. Apart from the super that we are holding, the balance held by your super fund is only updated with us once a year (usually in October).

It also important to note that balances can be affected by contributions, fees and charges, taxes and investment earnings (or losses). In turn, we recommend that you get in touch with your super fund (or funds) to find out how your balance was calculated.

If you believe that one of your employers hasn't paid your super correctly, we suggest that you refer to the unpaid super from your employer page for more information about what you can do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR