• 23375 Members
  • 27466 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Verifying documents once departed australia

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 436

Replies 1

Hi all, i have departed australia and back in the uk now & decided to start the dasp process but hit a snag when attempting to get certified documents by a justice of peace ( as this of course has to be done in person & is my only option on the list provided to me to get documents certified).

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue of certifying documents once departed australia and the best course of action to take to obtain this so my funds may be released.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Joshc90

It sounds like you’ve already started the online or paper ‘departing Australian super payment' (DASP) process. In some cases (especially when you’re super account balance is above A$5,000) you’ll need to provide additional certified documents to your fund. If your fund currently holds your super, I’d suggest you ask them directly what they’ll accept in terms of certification, as it may vary between funds.

Generally speaking, the following people are authorised to certify your identity documents outside Australia:

•  Notary publics, or
  • Staff at your nearest Australian embassy, high commission or consulate.

An authorised certifier should certify that each copy is a true and correct copy of the original document, by stamping, signing and annotating the copy of the identity document to state 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'. They should also be initialing each page and list their name, date of certification, phone number and position.

If however the ATO is holding your super (no longer with your fund), you can generally do the whole DASP application online here.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Joshc90

It sounds like you’ve already started the online or paper ‘departing Australian super payment' (DASP) process. In some cases (especially when you’re super account balance is above A$5,000) you’ll need to provide additional certified documents to your fund. If your fund currently holds your super, I’d suggest you ask them directly what they’ll accept in terms of certification, as it may vary between funds.

Generally speaking, the following people are authorised to certify your identity documents outside Australia:

•  Notary publics, or
  • Staff at your nearest Australian embassy, high commission or consulate.

An authorised certifier should certify that each copy is a true and correct copy of the original document, by stamping, signing and annotating the copy of the identity document to state 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'. They should also be initialing each page and list their name, date of certification, phone number and position.

If however the ATO is holding your super (no longer with your fund), you can generally do the whole DASP application online here.

Hope this helps.

Top Solution Authors