Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Wrong tax amount was applied

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 192

Replies 1

Hi there, 

I've recently filled my DASP claim and received the money from my super fund. 

I came to Australia in 2015 on a Working Holiday Maker visa (417) and after 5 months I was sponsored on Skilled Work Visa (457) for 3 years.

In the lead up to filling the claim I've spoken to one of the ATO employees who told me that even though I came out as a Working Holiday Maker I should not be taxed 65% on the period I was on a 457. 

Can you please confirm this is correct so I can file a complaint with my super fund. 

Kind regards,

Veerle Verlooij 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @VeerleVerlooij

Thanks for your post.

From what you have advised, it sounds like your super fund has applied the tax correctly.

When they processed your application, they would have checked whether your DASP included amounts attributable to contributions made while you held a WHM visa. When it does, they are required to apply the 65% tax rate to the taxable component.

In other words, the DASP WHM tax rate applies to the entire payment, including any super you may have earned while working under a different visa.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers as well as how DASP is taxed, you can check out our website.

Thanks,

ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @VeerleVerlooij

Thanks for your post.

From what you have advised, it sounds like your super fund has applied the tax correctly.

When they processed your application, they would have checked whether your DASP included amounts attributable to contributions made while you held a WHM visa. When it does, they are required to apply the 65% tax rate to the taxable component.

In other words, the DASP WHM tax rate applies to the entire payment, including any super you may have earned while working under a different visa.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers as well as how DASP is taxed, you can check out our website.

Thanks,

ChrisR