Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

TBAR file lodgment

Views 3337

Replies 5

We lodged our first TBAR file for a SMSF client last night through our ATO Tax Agent Portal.

The file validated and accepted as lodged.

Is there a way we can check and verify if the data was correctly downloaded?

eg Fund, member, pension amounts, etc

How can we check the individual member through the portal to see what his Transfer Balance Account is showing to make sure it is within the $1.6M cap limit on the ATO records?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 4

Im not sure about the tax agent portal, but if its the same as the ATO business portal which I suspect it is, then you may not be able to unless you can access your clients ATO account and then go into the super section and check the client's Total Super Balance and Transfer Balance Cap amounts.   As you know there is sometimes a bit of lag between inputing data and the ATO systems finally updating information on its side and when I lodged a TBAR the ATO systems finalised everything by next day.

Other option, if you are an authorised contact person on your client's account is give the ATO a call and check their super balances or get your client to check their account via myGov.

Registered agent phone line on 13 72 86 Monday to Friday

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 4

Im not sure about the tax agent portal, but if its the same as the ATO business portal which I suspect it is, then you may not be able to unless you can access your clients ATO account and then go into the super section and check the client's Total Super Balance and Transfer Balance Cap amounts.   As you know there is sometimes a bit of lag between inputing data and the ATO systems finally updating information on its side and when I lodged a TBAR the ATO systems finalised everything by next day.

Other option, if you are an authorised contact person on your client's account is give the ATO a call and check their super balances or get your client to check their account via myGov.

Registered agent phone line on 13 72 86 Monday to Friday

Replies 0

Thank you. I have accessed client's account on tax agent portal but there is no reference to transfer balance cap amounts at all, unless I have to wait another day or two.

Replies 2

I read that you can access TBA amounts through your own MyGov account. However most of our SMSF pension member clients would not have a MyGov accounts. I did write to the ATO to obtain a couple of TBA amounts but of course it took a few weeks to get the reply.

Anonymous

Replies 0

@NeilbKBH

Srry for delayed response but could not respond due to forum site issues.

I have double checked with another Tax Agent, and found there is no facility on the Tax Agents portal for viewing clients super balances.

Your only real quick alternative to writing to the ATO is to phone them, and as an authorised agent you should be able to confirm information over the phone.  The ATO operators have full access to taxpayers super information and I know this as I have requested my own over the phone without any issues.

Contact the ATO on 13 10 20 or the tax agents number previously mentioned to check your client's super balances.

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @NeilbKBH,

Welcome to our Community!

@MVF is right – if you’re listed as an authorised agent on behalf of your clients’ superannuation accounts, we can provide their Transfer Balance Account information over the phone.

You can phone us on 13 72 86 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday and select fast key code 4,3 to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.