ATO Community

Re: myGovID

Initiate

Views 1488

Replies 8

Once registered for MyGovID how can you change your email address?  If you have originally set it up with a work email address, which is now incorrect, how can you change this?  This is a big problem as people are setting up personal ID's as business/employees without realising it needs to be a personal address and then cannot change the details. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @AliOA 

Since our original answer, we’ve listened to your feedback and improvements have been rolled out for myGovID.

You can now change the email address connected to your myGovID. How you update this will depend on your situation.

If you have access to your myGovID still:

• Select My identity
  • Select Update email
  • Enter the email address you wish to use and select Get code
  • Input the code on your myGovID to confirm the change.

If you no longer have access to your myGovID account and the email address it’s connected to, you’ll need to contact our support line. Don’t try to set up a new account with your preferred email, as you’ll lock both those identity documents and email address to a separate second account.

8 REPLIES 8

Community Moderator

Replies 5

Hi @AliOA,

This is something that is being worked on at the minute.

If you no longer have access to your email address, you can continue to use your myGovID to login to government online services if you still have access to your myGovID app.

You should not delete your myGovID app if you have changed your email address since setting up your myGovID. If you no longer have the myGovID app installed on your smart device you will be unable to recover your identity and use your myGovID to log in to a government online service.

Thanks, NateH

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks @NateATO I appreciate the aswer.  Can't believe this issue was not built into the new arrangement with the amount of people using this now.  I look forward to a better solution soon.

Initiate

Replies 3

A quick add.

New employee, old email address is not accessable, deleted MyGovID details beacause of this.  Now what? We are unable to add her to the portal as she does not have the necessary app?  Any work around that anyone knows of, PLEASE?

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @AliOA

1. There isn't an option at the moment to change an email address for a Mygov ID that has already been set up. It will be an option in the future though. If you still have the app and don't need to set up Mygov ID again, then you can still continue to use the original email address to login because its essentially a user name and you won't need to access the account.

2. Your new employee can possibly register for another Mygov ID by using two identity documents that are different from the ones they used for their first account. They would also need to use a different email address. Check out which identity documents that Mygov ID will accept.

Hope this helps

Ari

Initiate

Replies 1

@AriH wrote:

Hi @AliOA

2. Your new employee can possibly register for another Mygov ID by using two identity documents that are different from the ones they used for their first account. They would also need to use a different email address. Check out which identity documents that Mygov ID will accept.

I've been told by the ATO that you can't have two myGovIDs even by using two separate sets of id documents and even if you could it would be impossible for married women like myself to do so given the limited number of documents one can use. So how are we really meant to get round the issue raised?

I have an issue where I innocently used my husband's business email address to set up a myGovID for accessing and completing his business' BAS. I then was authorised on my employer's RAM to access their BAS by a transfer of my AusKey which is set up using my work email address, only natural. I can't set that up because I've already used my ID to set up the myGovID for my husband's business.

I can't change the email address either, so it seems like the only choice my employer would have is to send the authority code to my husband's business email address, which I don't even see why they should need to know let alone use for me to be able to do my job! They are also not happy about having to use that address and I don't blame them.

Role on a fix by the ATO. I wonder if the withdrawal of the use of the Auskey is going to be delayed until a suitable resolution to the basic need to be able to change an email address is solved? There are a massive amount of reasons I could quote for someone needing to change an email address, it is simply not something that can be relied on to stay the same for life!

Hoping for a resolution to the madness.

Chris

Initiate

Replies 0

@Chrisk 

thanks!  Understand the frustrations this and so much more is causing right now.  My employee does not have a passport so cannot reapply for a new ID using 2 different forms of ID, again very furstrating! 

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @AliOA 

Since our original answer, we’ve listened to your feedback and improvements have been rolled out for myGovID.

You can now change the email address connected to your myGovID. How you update this will depend on your situation.

If you have access to your myGovID still:

• Select My identity
  • Select Update email
  • Enter the email address you wish to use and select Get code
  • Input the code on your myGovID to confirm the change.

If you no longer have access to your myGovID account and the email address it’s connected to, you’ll need to contact our support line. Don’t try to set up a new account with your preferred email, as you’ll lock both those identity documents and email address to a separate second account.

Initiate

Replies 0

Woohooooooo !!!!!