Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

I am forced to purchase company products to keep my job keeper paymnet

Views 680

Replies 8

I was employed by a retail shop selling health products to tourists for years. The sales have been heavily impacted by reduction of international tourists since beginning of this year therefore the shop closed, and I had no income since then. My employer applied Job keeper and paid me from April till now with no issues. However I received a text message from employer yesterday and she said she will continue apply job keeper payment for employees in the shop including me ONLY if we buy one of their self-produced health products for 100 bottles ( equivalent of AUD 5700 with today’s spot). She said we can sell them to others or self-consume or leave them in the warehouse till need. And she will stop applying payments for anyone who does not want to buy the products. I am not sure if this is complied with Job keeper eligibility from employer point of view. If it does not sound legal, who can I raise it with, i.e fair trading or anyone else?  Otherwise, can I apply for any payment myself as my employer will stop applying this for me? Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

99.9% sure this is HIGHLY illegal. Keep the text message as evidence and contact your employer to let them know that's not right (do it in a nice way) and give them the opportunity to rectify their mistake. If they refuse or do anything negative towards your employment (i.e. stop giving you shifts, don't pay you, sack you) take that dodgy employer to FairWork.

8 REPLIES 8

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

99.9% sure this is HIGHLY illegal. Keep the text message as evidence and contact your employer to let them know that's not right (do it in a nice way) and give them the opportunity to rectify their mistake. If they refuse or do anything negative towards your employment (i.e. stop giving you shifts, don't pay you, sack you) take that dodgy employer to FairWork.

Devotee

Replies 0

No what you're employer is doing is illegal on so many levels. You need to contact Fairwork and advise them of what is going on.

Devotee

Replies 2

Also just to let you know Jobkeeper is paid to the employer by Fairwork not the ATO. Fairwork will be very interested in what you have to say I can assure you.

Replies 1

Thank you Kiwko74. Can she just terminate my employment then so that she does not have to apply the jobkeeper for me in the future? Mostly luckily I wont buy her products, so she might do this anytime soon.

Devotee

Replies 0

Let Fairwork know of you're fears. It is against the law for you're employer to threaten to sack you because you won't buy the products that he/she wants you to. Advise Fairwork of what has happened and you're fears. Right now do not wait.

Replies 2

Thank you for replies, that shed light on where I should go for fair treatment. 

I was told that the employer might terminate my employment at anytime because I joined as a casual worker. Does anyone know if the employer is able to do this just because I dont want to buy her products or she can indeed terminate employment with me at any time she likes without a reason? Thanks.

Devotee

Replies 0

No, you're employer is making threats and this must stop.

Devotee

Replies 0

Also keep the texts you're employer has sent you. Also keep a note of dates and times of what you're employer has said to you.