Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

What industry do disability support workers fall under?

Views 1021

Replies 2

Could someone advice me as to what industry 'disability support workers' fall under? 

I am trying to understand the types of expenses and tax related record keeping involved with my profession. 

Thank you 😊 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Smarht,

It will depend on whether you're a sole trader or an employee.

A sole trader will report all their business income and expenses at Net income or loss from a business. The three rules of a business deduction are:

1. The expense must have been for your business, not for private use.
  2. If the expense is for a mix of business and private use, you can only claim the portion that is used for your business.
  3. You must have records to prove it.

Your business industry code will be 87900 Other Social Assistance Services.

As an employee in disability support, there are no occupation and industry specific guides for what you can claim as a deduction, meaning the normal rules and guides all apply for what you can claim. One common expense you may be able to claim in your line of work is car expenses.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Smarht,

It will depend on whether you're a sole trader or an employee.

A sole trader will report all their business income and expenses at Net income or loss from a business. The three rules of a business deduction are:

1. The expense must have been for your business, not for private use.
  2. If the expense is for a mix of business and private use, you can only claim the portion that is used for your business.
  3. You must have records to prove it.

Your business industry code will be 87900 Other Social Assistance Services.

As an employee in disability support, there are no occupation and industry specific guides for what you can claim as a deduction, meaning the normal rules and guides all apply for what you can claim. One common expense you may be able to claim in your line of work is car expenses.

Replies 0

Thank you @BlakeATO - I believe '87900 : Other Social Assistance Services' is what I needed Smiley Happy I will update this on my ABN also.