Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Working for a Company without an Australian Office

Highlighted

Views 473

Replies 6

What are the requirements if one intends to work for an international company that doesn't have any presence in Australia yet? Do you need an ABN for this? Also, how will the tax be deducted/calculated? Likewise, the super will be paid voluntarily as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @daniloong,

Depending if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and also if you are working as a contractor or an employee you will have to lodge a tax return. The income you earn from an overseas Business will be considered  as foreign income.

Also make a note that if you had paid tax overseas you may be eligible to claim an offset.

Hope this helps.

RodrigoP

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 5

Depending on the nature of the business operations and how it intends to operate in Australia - you may wish to have a read here. For foreign inbounds, I'd also consider if global turnover is over AU$1b - SGE as well as DPT rules may apply.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @daniloong,

Depending if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and also if you are working as a contractor or an employee you will have to lodge a tax return. The income you earn from an overseas Business will be considered  as foreign income.

Also make a note that if you had paid tax overseas you may be eligible to claim an offset.

Hope this helps.

RodrigoP

Highlighted

Replies 3

Hi @RodrigoP,

The company doesn't have any presence here in Australia yet nor they're planning to have soon. It is an IT company based in the U.S. and they need someone to be based in Australia to remotely support the Asia Pacific region.

Now my question here is, do I need an ABN if I will work for them? Also, is it the same scenario as being a contractor and them sending me a monthly invoice to reflect my wages and quoting my ABN?

Thanks.

Dan 

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi there,

I have the same question, so I am following the topic. Depending on the work visa (i.e. TSS 482), I do not think a foreign company can hire a foreign contractor (who pay taxes themselves), but only an employee (company must pay taxes). Can someone confirm that?

Also:

• How does the foreign company deduct taxes from the employee-Australian resident?
  • The employment contract must be based on AU laws?

Thanks

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi @Iacata , I don't think we have the same scenario in mind.

I'm currently a permanent resident here in AU and I found a job online that is offered by a US-based company. My question here is, what do I need to comply with the tax laws in AU should I decide to work for them?

1. Do I need an ABN?

2. Do I need to ask for the company to send me an invoice for my wages?

3. Apart from ABN, any other things needed to be registered for?

Thanks.

Dan

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @daniloong

You will need to consider if the company is to hire you as employee or contractor.

Check out the employee or contractor page on our website for more information which will help you determine your status.

If you end up being an employee:

1. Do I need an ABN? No
  2. Do I need to ask for the company to send me an invoice for my wages? No
  3. Apart from ABN, any other things needed to be registered for? No

Or, as a contractor:

1. Do I need an ABN? You may need one depends on your contract.
  2. Do I need to ask for the company to send me an invoice for my wages? Payment will be made to you based on terms of your invoice or contract.
  3. Apart from ABN, any other things needed to be registered for?  GST or PAYGI (Pay as you Go Instalments).

For more information about GST and PAYGI have a look at a website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks MayW