Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

workers comp under taxed

Highlighted

Views 126

Replies 1

hello people
1.im an employee and i calculated my tax return online and it say im going to owe the ato a large sum of money and the only reason i would owe them money is because my employer didn't tax my workers compo correctly. is there any adivce that uses will be able to help me with that will benefit me as i didn't make the human error?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stephen987 ,

Sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Employers are required to withhold from Compensation, sickness and accident payments in line with the relevant PAYG withholding requirements.

I understand an error in withholding may have been made by your employer but the actual income and tax payable on the income applies to you as the recipient. If you can't pay by the due date, you may be able to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments.

I hope this helps,

JasonT

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stephen987 ,

Sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Employers are required to withhold from Compensation, sickness and accident payments in line with the relevant PAYG withholding requirements.

I understand an error in withholding may have been made by your employer but the actual income and tax payable on the income applies to you as the recipient. If you can't pay by the due date, you may be able to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments.

I hope this helps,

JasonT