Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Employer's super payment not received by Superfund until 29 July - what can I do?

Views 119

Replies 3

Hi,

In FY19/20 - I had salary sacrifice arrangements with my employer which I had intended for FHSSS.

However, I have recently found out on the ATO Online website that rather than that payment counting towards last year's cap, it is counted toward this year's cap because my employer made the payment on the 28th July but it was received by my super on 29th July and reported as such.

This has negatively impacted me on FHSSS as the contributions I've made this year is now over the $15K cap and not counted towards FHSSS.

I've called the ATO Line, my Employer and my Super. All said they could do nothing. 

Can anyone else provide suggestion on what I can do to rectify this situation? I'm getting punished for other people's mistakes.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Spamal

Unfortunately, the information you've been given is correct.

It isn't about when you set aside funds to put in your super. It's about when the super fund receives them. This is the same whether the amounts are paid by you directly or through sacrificed contributions through your employer.

Your employer has until the 28th day of the month following the end of each quarter to make their contributions for that quarter to the super fund. This means that your employer has done the right thing.

While there's no option to amend the contributions made now, you remember that your employer will likely make any super contributions for this current quarter in the first four weeks of July. There's no limit to how long you can save in super for, so you definitely have time to save up more eligible contributions.

You can read about super payment due dates and FHSS Scheme on our website.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Spamal

Unfortunately, the information you've been given is correct.

It isn't about when you set aside funds to put in your super. It's about when the super fund receives them. This is the same whether the amounts are paid by you directly or through sacrificed contributions through your employer.

Your employer has until the 28th day of the month following the end of each quarter to make their contributions for that quarter to the super fund. This means that your employer has done the right thing.

While there's no option to amend the contributions made now, you remember that your employer will likely make any super contributions for this current quarter in the first four weeks of July. There's no limit to how long you can save in super for, so you definitely have time to save up more eligible contributions.

You can read about super payment due dates and FHSS Scheme on our website.

Replies 1

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the confirmation.

It still baffles me that options are available to correct this as it has an impact on my personal affairs.

The payment was clearly for FY19/20, and if ATO has accepted the employer made the payment for that financial year, then why should it be counted towards a different year for me?

Is there an appeal or complaint process on the ATO I can raise this on ?

Thanks.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Spamal

Sorry about your situation.

You can find information on our website about our complaints process.

Ari