ATO Community

FHSS Eligibility

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 811

Replies 3

Hi everyone
Looking for some clarification on the First Time Buyers Super Scheme. Myself and my partner are from Ireland and we have PR. We will be applying for citizenship when eligible next year but wondering if we are still eligible to use the FHSS to purchase our first home in Australia?
Also, we live in NSW and make contributions through our NSW employer. Chances are we will be moving to another state to purchase a home, does the face we made the contributions in NSW make a difference should we buy a property in S.A., for example?

Any help or advice would be great 😀
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 2

Hi @Rebeccaadoyle,

Thanks for your post.

Your residency status doesn't affect your eligibility for the FHSS scheme as the eligibility criteria don’t include any reference or requirement for you to be an Australian citizen, Australian resident or Australian resident for taxation purposes.

You just need to make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria for the FHSS scheme.

Also, your location when you make contributions towards the FHSS scheme has no effect on your eligibility for the scheme or where you choose to purchase or build your residential property.

Thanks, NicM.

3 REPLIES 3

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 2

Hi @Rebeccaadoyle,

Thanks for your post.

Your residency status doesn't affect your eligibility for the FHSS scheme as the eligibility criteria don’t include any reference or requirement for you to be an Australian citizen, Australian resident or Australian resident for taxation purposes.

You just need to make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria for the FHSS scheme.

Also, your location when you make contributions towards the FHSS scheme has no effect on your eligibility for the scheme or where you choose to purchase or build your residential property.

Thanks, NicM.

I'm new

Replies 1

To whom it may concern,

I have a client who previously was a Trustee of a Trust which owned a property that has since been sold. She is looking to purchase her first home and I am wondering if she will be eligible for the FHHS? Not sure if being a Trustee of a Trust that owns land is classed as having a "company title interest in land"

Replies 0

Hi @SimonC,

Welcome to the Community.

Being a trustee of a trust won't prevent someone from being eligible for the FHSS scheme.  You can find more information about trustees and beneficiaries of trusts in our FHSS guidance note GN 2018/1

We can provide general information here on Community. If you're unsure if your client is eligible for the FHSS scheme, we'd encourage you (or your client) to request interpretive advice to determine their eligibility.

You can write to us at:

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3100
PENRITH NSW 2740

You can also fax your request to 1300 669 846.

Thanks, NicM.

Top Solution Authors