Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Fhss

I'm new

Views 337

Replies 1

I have purchased a strata titled apartment With my partner 5 years ago, I was wondering if I can apply for FHSS though my name was joint with this property. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Anne4,

Assuming the strata title property you purchased was in Australia you would not be able to apply for the First Home Super Saver (FHSS) scheme. 

As you will here in the FHSS webpages on Eligibility for the scheme, you can only request a release of amounts under the FHSS scheme if you are 18 years old or older, and have never owned property in Australia – this includes an investment property, vacant land, commercial property, a lease of land in Australia, or a company title interest in land in Australia.

The only exception to this will be if you have previously owned property in Australia and the Commissioner of Taxation determines that you have suffered a financial hardship that resulted in a loss of ownership of all property interests.

AlBar

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Anne4,

Assuming the strata title property you purchased was in Australia you would not be able to apply for the First Home Super Saver (FHSS) scheme. 

As you will here in the FHSS webpages on Eligibility for the scheme, you can only request a release of amounts under the FHSS scheme if you are 18 years old or older, and have never owned property in Australia – this includes an investment property, vacant land, commercial property, a lease of land in Australia, or a company title interest in land in Australia.

The only exception to this will be if you have previously owned property in Australia and the Commissioner of Taxation determines that you have suffered a financial hardship that resulted in a loss of ownership of all property interests.

AlBar