Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Accommodation expense

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 819

Replies 1

Hi,
I am a FIFO worker and whilst away at work my house, which is my primary residence is leased on Airbnb. Due to my ever changing roster sometimes my property is rented out when I’m on break meaning I then have to find alternative accommodation for myself, such as hotels, motels or other Airbnb’s. Can this expense be claimed for a tax deduction??
Tim
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Timmonti 

So you are earning extra income through Airbnb (which I hope that you are declaring?)

And sometimes it is occupied when you are not working so you have to pay for alternative accomadation?

Nothing can be calimed as it does not relate to your income earning activities and seen as a private expense.

Everybody need a place to live, if you decide to rent out your house, you can't then rent out another house and claim that....

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Timmonti 

So you are earning extra income through Airbnb (which I hope that you are declaring?)

And sometimes it is occupied when you are not working so you have to pay for alternative accomadation?

Nothing can be calimed as it does not relate to your income earning activities and seen as a private expense.

Everybody need a place to live, if you decide to rent out your house, you can't then rent out another house and claim that....